9/01/2007

Here I sit brokenhearted...

No I am not going to recite that lame little joke you sometimes see in bathroom stalls. What I am talking about is furniture or lack thereof. Yesterday I drove over the the local Canadian Tire store (no they don't just sell tires, consider it the Canadian Walmart with no groceries and a way better automotive section) to replace my antique computer desk. Years ago, my father found this old table sitting outside someone's house held together with baling wire and brought it home. He repaired and refinished it and turned it into a beautiful round dining table. With the two leafs folded down, it was perfect was displaying family photos and various knick-knacks.

When I bought my first computer, a beautiful Compaq Presario 486 running at a whopping 25 mHz, I needed someplace to put it and the round table with one leaf down was drafted into service. And it has been used as my computer desk since then.

Back to Canadian Tire, their flyer had a corner computer desk for only 79.99! Not a bad price for a piece of RTA furniture. Got it loaded into the minivan and headed home. Since there wasn't a NASCAR race to watch and I had the day off, I was planning on assembling it as my Sunday project.

Saturday was when the fun happened. I was going to be working and away for most of the day when my sister decided she was going to be helpful and put the desk together for me. Guess she was looking for a Saturday project. She opened the box, checked that all the required pieces were there and started building in my living room. I had disconnected my computer and moved it out of the way.

From what I understand to have happened. My sister got the right half of the desk basically together and decided to move it to where it would be located and finish it there. Well, I guess my 3 year old nephew bumped into the finished piece while she was on the phone and it fell apart. A couple pieces of particleboard were damaged and it looked like I was going to be out $80. (As an aside, even with the great price the local store threw a cherry on top. They were offering a $10 coupon if you spent more than $40 which the cashier subtracted from my bill when I paid for the desk.)

When I got home I heard the story and my nephew said he was sorry and gave me a big hug. How can you stay mad at that face?
We were trying to come up with a good story for when we returned the box to the store but I happened to glance at the instructions and it said to call the manufacturer instead of going back to the store. Since it is Saturday we'll have to wait until Monday to do that. Until then I guess I plug my laptop in and put it on a TV tray.

Postscript (Sat Sept 8): Called the manufacturer on Monday, the CSR said replacement pieces would be sent out via courier at no charge. The pieces arrived on Thursday afternoon, the desk was put together Thursday night and on Friday (1 week after buying the unit) the computer is back together and sitting on my new desk.

As for the weight thing, which I am sure is riveting to 1 or 2 insomniacs in California, there is no change from last week which makes me happy because I have been so busy there hasn't been any walking of the dog and more junk food than usual has been consumed. The usual now being very little at all.

One last thing before I sign off. My favourite confessing weather girl is away to attend her wedding ceremony. Kate Bilo will marry the lovely Scott Eby. As I write this, they should be in Turkey to begin their honeymoon. What? Don't all married couples want to fly to Ankara or Istanbul (or as Victor Borge used to call it, Instant Cow) right after their wedding? I wonder if she will continue to use her maiden name, switch to her husband's name or go the hyphenated route? I hope their ceremony was beautiful and filled with meaning and I wish them all the best. Maybe Kate will come back and announce she will be having an Accu-baby! *LOL*

No comments: