8/20/2007

I love Farmboy Markets

Is it possible to love a grocery store? Heck yeah if you are someone who loves to eat, and I think I qualify based on all my posts about trying to lose weight. Why do I love them so much? It's mainly because of the meat. For those who have been around for a few years may recognize that as the slogan for Dominion Stores, which still exist in the greater Toronto area but were bought out by A&P which was then purchased by Metro stores.

Farmboy isn't a mega superstore with 200,000 square feet of everything you can put in your mouth like marinated Mongolian yak-kebabs. It is a throwback to the neighbourhood grocery stores from years gone by. Not elaborate but a little of everything you need. And as I mentioned, an amazing meat counter. Not amazing by the selection but amazing by the prices. I bought a 22 ounce t-bone steak last Friday and paid $9.37 for it, that works out to $6.99/pound. Yeah Canada measures everything in metric so $15.38/kg and it was at least 1/2" thick! Add some mesquite seasoning and a BBQ and I was a happy camper except for the rained out NASCAR race on Sunday and today.

If you are within a short drive of Peterborough, check them out. Unlike the megamarts, they are not open 24 hours a day and they don't have a website for me to show you. All I can tell you is they are located at the corner of Lansdowne and Erskine in Peterborough across from the Minute Maid plant. Sometimes they'll snag a deal on something you won't see everyday like paper products made for Wegmans and Tops grocery stores in upstate NY. Now, if you'll excuse me there are some pork chops I bought there that need my attention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Farmboy to it is nice to see and independent store in a walmart sobeys world.

Anonymous said...

too bad all their meat is Previously Frozen...what do you think "PF" means on the label?